Friday, April 18, 2008

Joshua's Memorial Donation

Today was our donation day for Joshua's birthday (which is 4/19). Each year we donate books to the lending library cart that we established in memory of Joshua. Our initial donation was on his 1st birthday in 2004 and each year we add new books and replace some of the favorites. The books are about preemies, baby development, medical issues and so much more. This year Tom, me, Jack, Quent, Gramma (my Mom) and Aunt Jean all went. We got to visit with some of Joshua's nurses and doctors that took care of him, it is so nice, we all got to share our Joshua's special celebration day.

The staff in the unit tell us that the parents really love having the information available for them right there on the unit and that it is used regularly. Some of the moms in my mothers of multiples group have even told me that they used the book cart when their kids were in NICU. Which I loved to hear! We wanted to do the book cart because Tom's sister, Julie, had given us a book about preemies the day that Joshua was born. (Thank goodness that she did!) The book was Preemies : The Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies. It literally was our constant source of information and reference when Joshua was in the NICU. We loved this book and wanted to help other parents whose children are there to have access to that kind of information too. Because, you know, the last thing that you have time for when your baby is in the hospital is to go looking for books in the library or at the store.

As much as the staff and the parents on the unit appreciate the materials we donate, I am still not sure if helps them more than it helps me. I get to plan and purchase and prepare for Joshua's birthday every year. Its feels so good to celebrate birthday every year. If he were alive I would be planning and preparing for his birthday celebration and in my own way I get to do that each year. I love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember that cart when our two were in the NICU too and had no idea you were to thank for it at the time. Such a wonderful gift for many families and I'm so glad it gives you a special time to celebrate your little guy's life.