Thursday, May 27, 2010

My funny birthday boys!

I have to write this down so that I will always remember the cute, smart, funny stuff that Jack and Quent  have said about their upcoming birthday!

The boys' birthday is about 10 days away, and their party is a week from Saturday.  So, in all the preparations  - sending out invitations, planning the cake, etc. - we have been talking about their birthday  A LOT.  We made a countdown calendar, so that they knew when it was getting closer and cross out the days everyday.  Lately I have been asking them what they might want for their birthday and they minimally answer me, "I want Toy Story 3" (the movie comes out a week after their b-day and we do plan to see it), but they really don't have concrete ideas.  But with all this talk:

The boys have now just realized that they will be getting presents for their birthday. 

So, last night Jack was saying, "Fank you so much Momma for letting us have some presents on our birthday!" 
When I told him that most of his presents would be from other people (not me and Daddy) he gave me a {thumbs-up} and yelled, "That's Awesome, I will love that!" 
He is such a cute, little grateful boy!  


Tonight, after reading Toot and Puddle: A Present for Toot , we were all talking about the book and how silly the little pigs and the bird in the story were.  Then Quent gets an idea, "Momma I REALLY want to have a pet too, for my birthday! Like a big pet, like a big DOG!"
I say, "Well, that would be nice to have a big dog, but we can't have a dog at our house because Momma is allergic.  I am so sorry, but we can visit Bessie* and Laverne*."

Quent's face drops, then he brightens and says, "I know!  I want a Yak!  Wouldn't that be a great idea for my pet!"  (yes the child said YAK)
My eyes grow wide and I laugh a little, but then seriously say, "A yak is a very big animal and would not fit in our house.  Our yard is too small for a yak to be happy in our yard, they like to live in big open fields where they have lots of room.  Also, yak poop is huge- whew - can you imagine if a yak would go poop in our house!  Ewwww, what a stinky mess!"
{Jack and Quent are now laughing like crazy and talking about big, giant poops, no way do they want that!}


Quent gets up to go get his drink before he lays down and he stops at the door.  "Whoa, now this is a great pet for me - how about a dinosaur - a REAL dinosaur!  Wouldn't that be great?!"  
Now you have to imagine his little face, so happy and pleased with all these "great ideas" he has had.  He's so cute it just breaks your heart to have to tell him that he cannot have a real dinosaur.
"Oh, Quentie, real dinosaurs are not alive anymore for us to have as pets.  That would have been a cool pet though.  You know what, when you lay down you can think about and dream about all kinds of good ideas for a pet and we will talk some more about them tomorrow."  (like how I switch back to the 'go to bed' mode)

Tomorrow should be one exciting talk!

* Bess is my parents' dog and Laverne is my brother and his wife's dog

3 comments:

Tamara said...

lol.. isn't it fun to see life through the eyes of two precious boys, it's double the laughter (and work)!

Unknown said...

Love it!! A Yak!?!? And a Dinosaur? Can you get those at PetSmart?

cat said...

Ah sweet - my kids would also love a dinosaur pet.